RE: Emacs 25.0.94: Is require failing to define macros and functions at

From: Herring, Davis
Subject: RE: Emacs 25.0.94: Is require failing to define macros and functions at compile time?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 00:09:25 +0000

> What happened to less code is easier to maintain?  Or don't repeat yourself?

Asymptotically it is just a constant factor fewer characters to use mapc here.
And (require 'foo) forms are so trivial that the maintenance burden is
questionable; some would prefer the diff- (and blame-) friendly character of
having each on its own line.  As for DRY, the various libraries are typically
not strongly related (or else they would be combined), so the need for each is
defensibly separate.

> I do:
>
> grep "require.*<my-library>" *.el
>
> all the time without a problem on libraries that use the (mapc
> #'require ...) call, so it is not a problem.

If all the libraries fit on one line, yes.  If there are so few, why bother
with mapc anyway?

I'm not making any claim that these are "crushing rhetorical blows"; merely
pointing out that it's (probably) not worth making the world more complicated
for the sake of curing so mild a problem as this.

Davis