Re: imgur.el and small packages to interface with commercial services

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: imgur.el and small packages to interface with commercial services
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:29:58 -0400

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:57:19 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/06/29/emacs-imgur-interface/

>> Are these things inappropriate for GNU ELPA?

RS> I'll consider whatever arguments people present, but as
RS> of now I think we want to accept these in GNU ELPA.

As I was saying, I think the package name and call interface should not
contain "imgur" but rather that should be a symbol meaningful to the
package. So instead of:

    (defun imgur-upload-image (image &optional datap)
    "Upload IMAGE to imgur and return the resulting imgur URL. [...]

We'd have:

    (defun larsuploader-upload-image (image service &optional datap)
    "Upload IMAGE to SERVICE and return the resulting URL. [...]

...which can then support Imgur and the *hundreds* of others out there.

Testing that package will be a huge pain.

Ted