Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 10:39:26 +0200

From: Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 10:03:07 +0200

last years parts of C code have been switched into the Lisp area. There
are pro and cons, the cons seems to be an easier maintenance, to protect
against the lack of skilled C-developers.

The backside is a general slowness, not felt in details of such a
change, but cumulated.Would liketo see this strategy changed. Rather
focus at a fast and small core. Reduce the rate of changes maybe. My
preferred Emacs must not provide everything, but be quick and reliable
and easy to extend. Emacs Lisp seen as designed for the user-space.
To compare performance, we need a performance test suite.  Without
measuring the impact of these changes, we cannot rationally discuss
the alleged slowdown.

You need a number to believe function running from Emacs Lisp is slower than an implementation in C?