Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 18:57:04 +0000

Hello, Andreas.

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 08:31:11PM +0200, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> On 01.07.2016 19:55, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 07:36:23PM +0200, Andreas Röhler wrote:

> > My own feeling is that font-lock.el works fast enough

> That was only an example for displayed-related stuff in Emacs Lisp.

> If there is no problem with font-lock and updating buffers after change
> etc., the better.
> So my impression, a remarkable amount of reports deal with slowness of
> display/re-display were wrong.

There have been quite a lot of (justified) complaints about the slowness
of C Mode's redisplay.  These wouldn't be helped by rewriting
font-lock.el as font-lock.c.  They might be helped by rewriting parts of
CC Mode in C.  This has already been suggested (by Eli), but hasn't been
explored in any great detail, as yet.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).