Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 20:53:51 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> 1. Document structure and export. The org document structure is already
>    pretty darn simple, and export "just works". You need some kind of
>    markup and structure before you can export, and I don't see how Org
>    could get any simpler, or easier to use.

There is way to abstract it, by using a function to retrieve the
code to export.

So, for example, instead of accessing the text markup directly the
code should call some (get-code-for-export ...) function which returns
the code pieces, instead of handling org markup directly. This way,
the export feature would not be dependent on the specific org markup,
because it would be hidden behind the implementation of this function.

I don't know org internals, but if the DRY principle is followed then
there already should be exactly one place in the code for each specific
markup handling, because if the same markup is accessed from two
different places then it should already be abstracted out to a function,
instead having the same implementation of accessing a specific markup at
multiple places.

So if DRY was applied then org should already have internal api functions
for markup access and manipulations, so the export part of the code
should in theory already be separated from the actual org text format,
and it could also use some other backend implementation.