Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 23:42:43 -0400

On 2016-07-01 23:32, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Andreas> last years parts of C code have been switched into the Lisp
> Andreas> area. There are pro and cons, the cons seems to be an easier
> Andreas> maintenance, to protect against the lack of skilled C-developers.
>
> Andreas> The backside is a general slowness, not felt in details of such a
> Andreas> change, but cumulated.Would liketo see this strategy changed. Rather
> Andreas> focus at a fast and small core. Reduce the rate of changes maybe. My
> Andreas> preferred Emacs must not provide everything, but be quick and
> reliable
> Andreas> and easy to extend. Emacs Lisp seen as designed for the user-space.
>
> Another approach is to just write Emacs Lisp, and use a compiler to
> translate important parts to C.  I've done a lot of this work, but it
> needs some love to get to the finish line.

This. Quoting from your page (which I +1'd a while ago):

    I think Emacs should move more strongly toward self-hosting. Too much of
    Emacs is written in C, and in the long term this should be migrated to
    lisp.

Couldn't agree more.  There are so many benefits to code written in Elisp:
readability, simplicity of debugging, simplicity of editing and replacing code,
safety, etc.  Moving code to C by hand may be a way to make some functions
faster, but there are many other less drastic ways.

Clément.