Re: Redisplay hook

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Redisplay hook
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 00:36:07 -0400

On 2016-07-02 23:27, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> You don't say what do you want to accomplish with that hook, so it's
> hard to give you advice.

It's true :) I'd like to make screencasts (gifs) by saving a picture of an
Emacs window or frame after each redisplay (I tried a number of programs that
record screencasts, but they all gave disappointing results; by saving a
picture (and a timestamp) after each redisplay, I might get much better
results).

A post-command hook would almost work, but it doesn't work for, say, a
compilation buffer showing new output.

Would it be hard to add a redisplay hook? Alternatively, is there a
non-deprecated way to achieve what the snippet that I posted does?

Also, is there a way to save a bitmap copy of a frame, other than asking the
system to take a screenshot? Could emacs do a redisplay cycle but write to a
bitmap instead of the screen?

Cheers,
Clément.