Re: Redisplay hook

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Redisplay hook
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2016 10:45:18 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 00:36:07 -0400
>
> It's true :) I'd like to make screencasts (gifs) by saving a picture of an
> Emacs window or frame after each redisplay (I tried a number of programs that
> record screencasts, but they all gave disappointing results; by saving a
> picture (and a timestamp) after each redisplay, I might get much better
> results).

I think such an application needs to hook into the GUI system, not
into Emacs.  That's because, at least on X, AFAIK Emacs doesn't
necessarily flush the queue of X commands each time it finishes
redisplay, so you may be disappointed by the results anyway.

As a temporary measure, try calling your code from the function
update_end (you will have to modify the C sources for that).