Re: Redisplay hook

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Redisplay hook
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:50:04 -0400

On 2016-07-04 17:28, Robert Weiner wrote:
> Why can't you just generate a lower resolution screenshot?  There
> must be a way to do so that would match the speed of capturing a
> higher resolution shot.
Possibly :) Lower resolution is not necessarily the best, though; for
screenshots, things tend to become quite blurry when resizing. Instead, one can
reduce the font size that emacs uses and make smaller screenshots.  See
https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/ for examples of this (the
https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/#snippets-and-smart-commands has
auto-generated gifs, though they use a different technique).

> Great.  Ease of use and speed of generation would both help
> determine how much it is used.  How long, for example, does it take
> to generate the last video you showed with the annoations (after the
> frames have been captured)?

About 20 seconds, I think: ImageMagick's gif generation isn't the fastest. I
hear that gifsicle is better; it could be worth exploring!

> I also run Emacs natively on Mac OS X's display system, so I would
> have to find another frame capture program or else just run it under
> X for this use only.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/56561/how-do-i-find-the-windowid-to-pass-to-screencapture-l
 might be useful too :)

Clément.