Re: Mysterious frame widening

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Mysterious frame widening
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 14:39:54 +0200

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 13:53:50 +0200 martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

>>     Emacs started; frame width: 80
>>     Gnus started; frame width: 80
>>     Entered Summary buffer; frame width: 80
>>     Entered Article buffer; frame width: 100
>>     Point moved to a button; frame width: 100
>>     Back to Summary buffer; frame width: 103
>>     Back to button in Article buffer; frame width: 113
>
> Sounds a bit like bug#15700, #22000, #22898, ...

I think you're right.  First, like in bug#22000, I also see this in the
console:

(emacs:5016): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation:
assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

(I'd seen this all along, and also in the past have seen other (or
perhaps the same?) Gtk-CRITICAL console messages when running Emacs, but
have never bothered to investigate them.)

Second, when I disable the menu bar before evaluating the code with one
of the fonts that, with the menu bar enabled, results in the frame
widening, or if I start emacs with -Q -D, then there is no
frame-widening.  Moreover, I now know how to get frame-widening without
adds to the menu bar (but in this case there's only widening at the last
step, and only to 86; the larger and more varied widening only happens
(so far) with Hyperbole loaded).  Yet I haven't noticed this widening
with Dired or Gnus by itself, as it seems others have.  Anyway, it's now
clear why Bob Weiner couldn't reproduce this on his Mac.

Steve Berman