Re: Use cases for post-redisplay hooks

From: Keith David Bershatsky
Subject: Re: Use cases for post-redisplay hooks
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 10:45:02 -0700

I can explain it in layman's terms, but I'm not familiar enough with how
redisplay works to describe in computer language what happens exactly.  [I'm a
hobbyist / tinkerer, but do not have any formal training in programming.]

I saw that the `window-scroll-functions` hook (hereinafter "WSF") returned
correct values for `window-start` and `window-end` in some circumstances, but
not all.  I saw that the WSF had about two (2) occasions where it is forced to
run with a built-in flag, so I borrowed that functionality.  The
`window-start-end-hook' (hereinafter "WSEH") is kind of like the WSF on
steroids.  Wherever the WSF would normally be called, the WSEH is also called.
I added one (2) additional location for the WSEH to deal with mouse wheel
scrolling.  I throw the switch on the WSEH every command loop.  The WSEH has a
check to see if point is fully visible, because that is when `window-start` and
`window-end` will not likely change again (so long as the Lisp function
attached to the WSEH doesn't alter those values in any way).  When point is
fully visible, then the function attached to the WSEH runs and my overlays are
placed on the visible window.

Keith