Re: sort-lines including non ASCII

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sort-lines including non ASCII
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 18:20:54 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 07:41:03 +0000
>
>  > Because you are thinking Spanish, I presume.  Emacs by default is not
>    > sensitive to the current locale or language, when it compares strings,
>    > and instead does that in binary order of the characters' Unicode
>    > codepoints.  The advantage is that the order comes out the same in any
>    > locale.
>
> Hm I just made an experiment with Hebrew, with and without niqqud and
> indeed

> בית
> אבא
> אוויר

> Is sorted correctly and also

> אוויר
> בית
> אַבָא

> So the niqqud does not influence the sorting but the accent in spanish
> does. Most likely Unicode is the culprit here, but it is contra
> intuitive.

Unicode has nothing to do with this.  The difference between אַ and Á
is that the former is always 2 characters, while the latter is usually
only one.  That's why sort-lines produces what looks like correct
results with Hebrew.  To see the problem there, you need to sort אבא
with אַבָא and אתבשא, for example.  Or something similar.