Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5811404: Replace eldoc-documentation-function w

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5811404: Replace eldoc-documentation-function with a hook
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 03:06:18 +0300

On 07/08/2016 02:59 AM, Mark Oteiza wrote:

It is unclear what discussion you are talking about.  Perhaps it's
here[1], but if not, I hope you will read it

Did you?

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-06/msg00331.html

One could refer to a number of sources for developer
opinion on using advice in core, but perhaps it is best to quote the
Elisp manual:

     […] advice should be reserved for the cases where you cannot modify
     a function’s behavior in any other way.  If it is possible to do
     the same thing via a hook, that is preferable (see Hooks).  […] In
     particular, Emacs’s own source files should not put advice on
     functions in Emacs.  (There are currently a few exceptions to this
     convention, but we aim to correct them.)

[0] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=fd020a29
[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-06/msg00138.html