Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:29:17 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 09:27:55 -0400
>>
>> EZ> All the other projects I
>> EZ> participate in make it harder, and yet no one complains or thinks they
>> EZ> are hard on contributors.
>>
>> I think there is a confirmation bias there: people tend to believe the
>> feedback that confirms their existing views and discount the opposite.
>
> I think you underestimate my abilities to avoid from such fallacies.
> It's almost an offense to say that.

Wow, Eli! One thing modern psychology taught us is that human thinking
is anything but rational and objective. It is true that different
individuals suffer on different levels of biased views, after-the-fact
reasoning for previous actions, etc. but I'm skeptical of the existence
of individuals who are able to be completely objective and rational for
more than a few minutes.

Since I subscribed Ted's point on a previous message, I'll ask for your
forgiveness for considering you a human being.

>> That piece doesn't exist, but I'm willing to bet that developing it is
>> *much less* work than the man-hours that will be spent crafting the
>> ChangeLog format over the coming years.
>
> Actually, writing ChangeLog entries takes a negligible fraction of my
> time.  I can almost do that while taking a nap.

Good for you. You do a terrific job at documenting things in general,
which includes writing good commit messages on addition of the Changelog
entry. And you are the top-hacker of Emacs. You are anything but the
typical contributor Ted is talking about.