Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 10:00:05 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 01:58:48 +0300
>
> On 07/08/2016 06:25 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
>
> >> You rarely are interested on the whole file. vc-region-history makes
> >> wonders when you care about part of the file (a function, for instance.)
> >
> > That's "git log -L" that I mentioned.  It's startup time is not
> > negligible.
>
> Personally, I've never found vc-region-history too useful (as opposed to
> e.g. vc-annotate).

I do use "git annotate" at first, but it will only show the last
commit that changed the code you are investigating, and I find this
too frequently to be some reformatting or other similar cleanup that
is not really what I want.  Then going back in history with "git
annotate" is inconvenient, so "git log -L" is better.

In any case, the startup times of 'annotate' and 'log -L' are
comparable, and both are non-negligible.

> >> Besides, having to jump to the bug is a nuisance
> >> (some people mentioned that having the ChangeLogs readily available on
> >> the tarballs is an advantage.) It is not necessary to duplicate the
> >> whole discussion, but briefly mentioning what the problem was and why it
> >> was decided to solve it this way would be helpful.
> >
> > This request is unreasonable.  If nothing else, it will make the bar
> > for contributing higher, not lower.  The information is recorded in
> > the bug discussion, and there's no need to reproduce it in the log
> > message.
>
> We do encourage that, actually, though not require (bar for
> contributing, etc). This can be especially useful when the issue is
> not-to-complex, but the bug discussion is long.
>
> Mentioned near "rationale for a change" in CONTRIBUTE.

Right, but this discussion is about the requirements, not about the
stuff for which one gets extra bonus points.