Re: official Emacs Docker image

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: official Emacs Docker image
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 12:54:33 -0400

  > RS> Could you explain what you mean by "official"?  In what sense are
  > RS> those "official"?

  > The Docker Hub web site marks them so, and users trust them more. They
  > tend to be up to date.

Who said these are "official"?

  > Docker Inc. provides some maintenance and review for such images, so
  > they are in many ways an investment for the company. I don't know more,
  > I've never made or maintained an official image. But GCC is up there, as
  > I said, so there's a precedent.

Whether we should recommend Docker containers is a ethical question
and a political question.  If the answer is yes, whether we should
post them on the Docker site is another ethical question and another
political question.

Precedent is not the way to reach conclusions about such questions.
In other words, the fact that someone is doing something does not
mean it is a good thing to do.

The GNU Project has no position on those questions as yet.

--
Dr Richard Stallman