Re: ¬ notation for not? Ref: Add a couple cells to lisp-prettify-symbols

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: ¬ notation for not? Ref: Add a couple cells to lisp-prettify-symbols-alist
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:35:41 +0200

On 2016-07-10 07:24, Mark Oteiza wrote:
> and ending up with bad indentation because of prettify-symbols-mode.

That. How do we solve this?

Wouldn't it be nice if space on the line below could be compressed too, so that
indentation is fine?

That is, if I prettify ‘and’ as ‘∧’, I currently turn

    (and x
         z)

into

    (∧ x
         z)

which looks wrongly aligned, and then if I reindent I get

    (∧ x
       z)

which looks like

    (and x
       z)

to others who don't use prettification.

What if spaces inside of a sexp, under a prettified symbol, could be prettified
too? So I'd see

    (∧ x
       z)

but the buffer would really contain

    (and x
         z)

that is, it would behave as if the text was really

    (and x
     and y
     and z)

only the two last ‘and’s would be invisible.

Of course this wouldn't solve every problem, (stuff that e.g. align-regexp
produces would still be misaligned), but it would be a good start, no?
I wonder how hard it would be.

Clément.