Adding a "misconceptions about Emacs" FAQ on the website

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Adding a "misconceptions about Emacs" FAQ on the website
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 02:54:55 +0200

Hi emacs-devel,

I tend to hear the same arguments against Emacs all the time. Maybe we could
have an FAQ about them on the beautiful new website? (And is this discussion
welcome on emacs-devel?)

The top three I get are, from least to most frequent:

* I'd love to use Emacs, but (I hear) it's very slow to start
  (Answers include 'Not if you load packages properly, i.e. if you install them
using package.el', 'Starting the GUI version is slower than the command line
version', and 'Using an Emacs daemon makes Emacs resume instantly')

* The keybindings are scary
  (Answers include CUA-mode and viper/evil)

* I could learn Emacs, but vi(m) is more useful because it's available
everywhere
  (Answer is Tramp, which I've found people to be very impressed by)

Ideally, if people like the idea of an FAQ, we could discuss top items to
include; I'm not too interested in starting a thread about Emacs vs. the world.

Cheers,
Clément.