Understanding the cause of a bug causing *all* bindings to be wiped out

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Understanding the cause of a bug causing *all* bindings to be wiped out
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 05:28:13 +0000

Hi all,

Lately, I have seen this issue on the master branch. It's difficult to tell if something in my config is causing this, something in the master branch.

The bug is that something suddenly causes *all* bindings to get wiped out. So I cannot do even C-h l to see what I typed that caused that to happen. Also M-x gets unbound, along with *all* other bindings. So no C-n/C-p, C-x C-c, etc.

The only way I can get out of that is by killing emacs from the terminal. When I start emacs again, everything is fine again.

I have seen the sudden bindings blackout happen to me for, I believe, 3 times by now, all while on the master branch build, probably in last 2-3 weeks.

But I do not know if the bug is localized in the master branch or my config.

Can anyone give me hints as to what kind of config mess-up can cause this? Or has anyone else on master branch also seen this happen?

Below is my version info.

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 25.1.50.16 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2016-07-10, built using commit 466ee1b3ea76425d201b5d59950e88251870c836.

./configure options:
  --with-modules --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/master 'CPPFLAGS=-fgnu89-inline -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native' 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64'

Features:
  XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 MODULES

Thanks.

Kaushal Modi