Re: auto-generating skeleton ChangeLogs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: auto-generating skeleton ChangeLogs
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:49:21 -0400

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:28:52 -0400 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> Can we do better? What are the things we can catch, given a patch or VCS
TZ> commit and the VCS-controlled file?

TZ> * additions of variables: defvar, defcustom, ???
TZ> * additions of functions: defun, defun*, ???
TZ> * removals of variables and functions
TZ> * changes to defcustoms or defvars
TZ> * changes to functions
TZ> * other top-level macros such as `define-minor-mode'
TZ> * new files, deleted files

TZ> If there is code already written for this in Emacs or other packages,
TZ> great. If not, I guess it should be part of the VC mode?

...another approach I thought of: step through every - or + line of the
patch and do `add-change-log-entry'. The functionality to detect the
current function or symbol changed will have to be factored out, so we
can use a "change" data structure instead of inserting the ChangeLog entry.

Then walk through the list of changes and consolidate them into a tree
structure. That would be the minimum effort implementation...

Would that cover enough of the cases above?

Ted