Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 10:17:01 -0400

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
> The ChangeLog should contain what we decide it should contain.
> The "git log" should contain what we decide it should contain.

Ok, I see.  You are talking about simply having ChangeLog entries as
part of the version control system, not having the system generate
ChangeLog entries from the code changes.  It seems at some point the
latter was being discussed.

Personally, I like having a single file that I can reference for major
changes to a program and another file for news about such changes
without needing a specific tool to examine these changes.  But if the
version control system can generate such a file when distributions are
made, then we are pretty much talking about the same thing, with the
added bonus of being able to extract different snapshots of focused
changes based on the tool and the code versions.

Bob