Re: Compilation warnings in mouse.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Compilation warnings in mouse.el
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:12:35 -0400

>> The way I see it, defcustoms should pretty much never have :group, and
>> the group to which they belong is simply determined by the file in which
>> they occur.
> But as long as such a system isn't installed, we shouldn't behave as
> if it were.  (And what you propose is not without downsides, I think.)

Such a system has been installed ever since

    commit d3b80e9b70eaa0edb4cfc0d91543c41929fa70c0
    Author: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
    Date:   Sun Nov 18 01:35:12 2001 +0000

        (custom-current-group-alist): New var.
        (custom-declare-group): Set it.
        (custom-current-group): New fun.
        (custom-declare-variable, custom-handle-all-keywords):
        Use it as a default if no :group argument is specified.

>> I don't see how removing/adding defcustoms in the same file
>> would introduce problems.
> We just saw such a problem, no?

I must have missed something.  All I saw was that someone added
a defcustom in mouse.el and did not put a :group while there is no
defgroup in that file (and all other defcustoms in there have a :group).

That seems pretty far from "removing/adding defcustoms in the same file".

>> PS: Incidentally, we have two definitions of the `mouse' group
>> in cus-edit.el:
> Thanks.  Bonus points for fixing that.

Hmm... Git didn't tell me how many points I got!

BTW, I'm not really opposed to the use of :group in general.

But I'm opposed to having it be mandatory in the obvious case of
a single-file single-group package, where the :group args are just
redundant.  My above 2001 commit was designed to solve that case and
it's proved to work fine since.

        Stefan