Re: Detect all changes in a buffer

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Detect all changes in a buffer
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:07:03 -0500

Lars Tveito <address@hidden> writes:
>I am developing a minor mode that enables real-time collaboration. I
>wish to detect /all/ changes made to a buffer. So far I'm using
>`before-change-functions' to detect deletions and
>`after-change-functions' to detect insertions.

You might already know about these, but just in case:

There was some work on this in the past -- the effort I remember was based on a
collaboration protocol called "Obby", but now that I look at
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CollaborativeEditing I see there were some
other efforts as well.

I don't know if anything there would save you time, but wanted to point it out
just in case.

(You raise a good question about `inhibit-modification-hooks', and I don't know
the answer to it.)

Best regards,
-Karl