Re: [ELPA] New package: GNU Hyperbole 6.0

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: GNU Hyperbole 6.0
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 23:39:37 -0400

> The package has been maintained at
>
>     https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/hyperbole/
>
> There is more info about the package there but that has not been updated yet
> with the latest release. This is partly due to questions about what the best
> way is to do the packaging and if that puts requirements on where and how to
> maintain it.

> The plan now is to continue to maintain it at savannah and include it in ELPA
> as a subtree.  The package is rather big so we think it would be wise to keep
> the daily development outside of ELPA and only sync when doing releases.

If you haven't read elpa.git's README, I recommend you do that first.
I usually prefer packages be installed as subtrees, but in the case of
large packages like this one, it makes more sense to install it as an
"external" which is more like a submodule (it's actually just
a separate branch in the same repository).

You could maintain it directly from the elpa.git repository, or you can
have the upstream in https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/hyperbole and so
regular syncs every once in a while.

> Since we don't have push rights to the ELPA repository we would need that.

That's easy to arrange.  Request membership in the "emacs" group from
your Savannah page.

> The technical details - that the package follows the right conventions
> etc is best inspected when we have it uploaded to the repo at savannah
> I think.

Right.  The Git repository is empty and the Hg repository seems to only
go up to 2013, so I can't give an opinion on the current code.
I'll just assume the general shape hasn't changed much.  Any reason why
the real code is still not in there?

One of the main limitations of ELPA is that it doesn't really like Elisp
files other than in the root directory.  If I look at the Hg repository,
all Elisp files except for the kotl/*.el are in the root dir, so it
looks OK (and it'd be easy to move those kotl/* files to the root).

        Stefan