Re: [ELPA] New package: GNU Hyperbole 6.0

From: Mats Lidell
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: GNU Hyperbole 6.0
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 17:39:51 +0200

> Stefan Monnier writes:
>
> If you haven't read elpa.git's README, I recommend you do that first.

I have read it but it suggests that if you don't know which of subtree or
external to use you should go for subtree. :-) So the easy solution was to
assume that subtree would be the thing for us but ask the list for advice
which we got. I'll read up on external now when I know it is the preferred way
for large packages like this.

> You could maintain it directly from the elpa.git repository, or you can
> have the upstream in https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/hyperbole and so
> regular syncs every once in a while.

The latter sounded better to me to keep the scope more local for our work.

> That's easy to arrange.  Request membership in the "emacs" group from
> your Savannah page.

I'm happy that you suggest that. It's done.

> Right.  The Git repository is empty and the Hg repository seems to only
> go up to 2013, so I can't give an opinion on the current code.

We are switching from hg to git and start from a little different code base
than was used before. So that is why git is empty. It will be populated if we
choose to maintain it at savannah.

My plan was that if the way of working with maintaining at savannah and using
a subtree (or more likely now external) was good we would start by populating
the git repo with version 6.0 and you could then have a look at it.

But as Bob has written in another reply it is available over the net so maybe
you could inspect it there to give us more feedback?

> I'll just assume the general shape hasn't changed much.  Any reason why
> the real code is still not in there?

No it is roughly the same and it has been maintained elsewhere since we
started from a slightly different code base.

> One of the main limitations of ELPA is that it doesn't really like Elisp
> files other than in the root directory.

OK. Thanks for the pointer. We will look into that.

Yours
--
%% Mats