Please consider making Bug #23917 a blocker for 25.1 (was Re: org-captur

From: N. Jackson
Subject: Please consider making Bug #23917 a blocker for 25.1 (was Re: org-capture: Capture template ‘g’: Match data clobbered by buffer modification hooks)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 13:01:50 -0300

At 15:37 -0400 on Friday 2016-07-15, Noam Postavsky wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Alex Bennée <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> See Bug #23917 "commit 3a9d6296b35e5317c497674d5725eb52699bd3b8
> causing org-capture to error out"

Please consider making this bug (Bug #23917
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23917) a blocker for
release of Emacs 25.1.

I use Org capture dozens of times a day -- it is central to my workflows
-- and this bug breaks all of my captures, even the very simplest ones.
An Emacs with this bug is unusable for me.

I don't think my pattern of using Org Mode is particularly unusual, at
least among those who use it is as an organizer. [Those who use it for
publication or for reproducible research or for literate programming may
have different usage patterns.] So this bug potentially impacts a
large number of Emacs users.

It seems clear from the discussion in the bug report that a change in
Emacs triggered the bug. (For me it was not present in the 25.0.95
pretest tarball with latest Org Mode, but is present in yesterday's
Emacs 25 branch with latest Org Mode.) But apparently with the version
of Org built in to Emacs the bug does not manifest. So it isn't clear if
the bug is in Emacs or if the change in Emacs just uncovered a bug in
Org Mode (or both). Either way, please can we wait until it's fixed
before the release (which otherwise feels like it's going to happen in
the next three to five weeks).

Thanks.

N.