Re: Org Mode version to be bundled with Emacs 25?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Org Mode version to be bundled with Emacs 25?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:14:59 -0700

>> Will Emacs 25 not feature an update to Org?

EZ> I think it's a question that you should ask the Org developers. AFAIK, it
EZ> is they who decide when to import a new Org version into Emacs.

The Org maintainer contacted me directly, and I decided it was too late to
upgrade to 8.3. His request came after the pretests were being issued, and
this upgrade is a bit more disruptive than others (so much so, I myself had to
downgrade to 8.2 to keep my Org files working the way I wanted them to).

I'd be happy to include 8.3 in a 25.2 point release, once we get this current
release finished, but it's too late to think of updating large sub-components
now.

This is also a further argument for Org-mode to be released through ELPA,
rather than Emacs core, in which case none of this would be a real problem --
except for the recent bug reported concerning org-capture.