Re: Emacs and jEdit

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Emacs and jEdit
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 10:33:56 +0200

On 2016-07-19 09:08, Andreas Röhler wrote:
What about the screenshots given? Seems there is not just async creating
difficulties.
Why do you attribute Emacs' lack of support for Isabelle's funky format to
difficulties, rather than, say, lack of interest?

Why people used to Emacs' proof-general should prefer jEdit? Why there was no interest raised?

For me Emacs' extensibility is the key-argument. While jEdit is extensible also. At any case: the basics like indent and highlighting must be reliable. Look for example the buglists at elixir-mode:

https://github.com/elixir-lang/emacs-elixir/issues

It's developed for years and are very skilled people behind - nonetheless the indent-bugs cumulate.
Well, that's a special smie-matter IIUC.

That good news from there: fontification seems kept under control.

   AFAICT there's only one editor supporting Isabelle, and that's at least in
part a design choice (in addition to a custom build of jEdit, the Isabelle
people use a custom Isabelle font, and a custom Isabelle encoding based on
UTF-8 with subtle, incompatible divergences from the standard).
The latter might deserve negotiation.

In any case, I don't think I see anything in these screenshots suggesting
difficulties (but I could be wrong).

What about the plain text wrongly fontified as keywords?

   We've had prettify-symbols-mode for a while, and Proof General had
unicode-tokens.el before that.  It would help if you pointed out something that
might be hard to support in Emacs.

The prettify-stuff works very well in Emacs. Notably flexible.

And if you're interested in areas where we have an edge, I've attached a
screenshot of jEdit and Emacs displaying the same text side-by-side. Try to
spot an issue on the jEdit side :)

Clément.

Indeed, when playing with jEdit, it showed some bugs too, sure.