Re: Sending bug reports without setting up email

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Sending bug reports without setting up email
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 17:01:50 +0200

On 07/20/2016 03:29 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Yes, res_ninit would be better, I think.  But is res_ninit supported
less/more than res_init on non-GNU/Linux systems, I wonder?  I tried
googling for this briefly, but was unable to say...

If memory serves, res_ninit was introduced by BIND 8.2 in the previous millennium and nowadays any system that has the deprecated res_init function should also have res_ninit. For what it's worth res_ninit is on the oldest platform I have easy access to (Solaris 10, released 2005). On systems that lack res_ninit we could punt and pretend there are no name servers.

Sorry, I've lost track of why you wanted direct access to the list of name servers. Something about looking up MX records for gnu.org when half-a-dozen other bits of code don't work? For something that esoteric maybe it'd be simpler to hard-code the IP addresses.