Re: Sending bug reports without setting up email

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Sending bug reports without setting up email
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 17:06:01 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I've lost track of why you wanted direct access to the list of
> name servers. Something about looking up MX records for gnu.org when
> half-a-dozen other bits of code don't work?

Yes, for sending bug reports without setting up mail...

> For something that esoteric maybe it'd be simpler to hard-code the IP
> addresses.

It's also useful slightly more in general.  For instance, the way to
upload blog posts to wordpress.com is to make a HTML email with embedded
images.  Their MTA accepts huge emails, while your local MTA is unlikely
to, so sending it directly to their MTA is the way to go.

And you could also see somebody who is very security conscious, I mean
paranoid, would want to send emails via TLS directly to the recipient's
MTA without going through the NSA, I mean intermediaries.

So there's three use cases.  :-)