Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 22:03:26 +0300

On 07/20/2016 08:54 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

For me personally, if I can *see* the specific code that fixes a ticket
inside the ticket as a commit, and click my way to the wider commit and
then diff from before that commit against today's state of that code,
I've built a mental map of the code that would otherwise take me a lot
of work. That's one common workflow. Another is to view several commits
that fix a single ticket in one place. So it's not revolutionary, just
simpler and more straightforward for the user.

Being able to close a bug just by mentioning it in a certain way in the commit message and pushing that commit is also handy. You don't have to switch to the bug discussion and duplicate that info there manually.

SM> How do you "update a commit"?  What does "resolve a comment" mean?

Rebase or amend+force push would update a branch destructively, which in
a pull request context should show you that a comment was for a commit
that's no longer in the branch. Furthermore some trackers allow you to
mark a comment as resolved (e.g. Github recently added reactions, which
can be used as ad-hoc markup).

Even if you don't rebase, but just push a new commit to the branch upon review, IIRC both Github and Gitlab can see that the changes that started a particular discussion are no longer there (and collapse the comment sub-thread a no longer relevant, while allowing the user to expand it again if they so wish).

And on the more basic level, compared to flat discussions in mailing lists, having separate subthread for each part of the patch the reviewer commented on, is great. You can have discussion sub-threads in the mailing list too, but people never split their emails in pieces that small.