Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 22:30:51 +0300

On 07/20/2016 07:56 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

And I think it's probably still the case that we'd want our bug-tracker to
be usable via email for those who want to (tho it's probably OK if only
the main functions are available via this UI).

You usually can receive bug comments over email, and reply to them, but not create or close an issue. There are HTTP APIs for that, though.

The actual requirement was probably about disconnected operation or
something like that.

Yes, I agree that this is the crucial point.  That's my motivation for
developing BugIt (https://gitlab.com/monnier/bugit).

IMHO it's not that important a goal. The old-timers have lived without it for a while, and the youngsters have no idea that it's something to be desired.

Or, if you want to say that it's already available with debbugs because one can delay the delivery of their emails, an Emacs package for interacting with the new bug tracker could implement something like a queue of delayed actions inside it.

Being able to close bugs from commits (which you can push with a delay) would also lower the demand for such a feature.