Re: Add autoload cookies in seq.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Add autoload cookies in seq.el
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:51:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Are we mis-communicating?  If somefile.el needs a function that is in
> subr-x.el, all it has to do is (require subr-x).  How's that a
> problem?

We seem to be.  That paragraph was about seq.el.

> When/if seq.el will become used so much that it will almost always
> immediately load at the beginning of a session, we will indeed add it
> to preloaded ones.  But as long as that doesn't happen, why should we
> punish those users who have no use for seq?

Every time somebody introduces seq-based code into the dumped files,
it's rewritten since we can't use seq, since it's not dumped.  seq was
written as a library meant to regularise all the different inconsistent
libraries and functions we use for that stuff.

Until seq stops being persona non grata in the most important Emacs Lisp
files, it'll probably not see much uptake in the rest of Emacs, either.
Who wants to go around remembering two different interfaces for lists,
one that's OK in subr.el and one that's not?