Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:17:03 -0400

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:50:01 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:13:50 -0400
>>
>> Will the Emacs developers follow me? I'd love to see them use a better
>> process. I'm happy to concede I'm wrong and the current process works
>> fine, but the evidence leads me to believe it can be improved with
>> better tools (similar to the evidence in favor of Git when we were using
>> Bazaar). I'm not going to spend the next 6 months talking about it; I'd
>> rather know if the maintainers (Eli and John) and other core developers
>> are willing to consider Gitlab or something similar.

EZ> If you expect an answer from me, then I don't have enough information
EZ> to do that.  I never worked with Gitlab, have only a casual
EZ> familiarity with Github, and don't have any clear idea of what would
EZ> that mean for the process.  Someoneā„¢ will have to set up a test
EZ> repository which can be freely played with, and provide enough
EZ> instructions for the relevant frequent ops to allow some first-hand
EZ> experience with Gitlab (or whatever).  Only then I will be able to say
EZ> something intelligent.

The license is the first issue, before we do that work. Gitlab is not
GPL: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/blob/master/LICENSE

Is that acceptable? If yes, we can set up an instance against a mirror
of Emacs. If not, we'll need to keep looking.

EZ> FWIW, most of the time I use up on Emacs-related work is spent
EZ> debugging and reviewing patches, not on stuff related to debbugs and
EZ> the VCS; the latter take negligible time.  Not sure what that means in
EZ> the context of this discussion.

In the process I proposed, they are all the same thing, so I think you
would find it useful as well. A particularly useful CI feature is that
you could review a patch and see that it breaks the C build, or emits
some warnings, or breaks some tests... all done before your attention
was focused on it.

Ted