Re: debbugs tracker builds character

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: debbugs tracker builds character
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:11:40 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> SM> I think I'm starting to see what you mean.  You're talking about a tight
> SM> integration where a pull-request is also itself an issue, so the comments
> SM> can be directly on the patch itself.  As opposed to having issues and
> SM> pull-request be two separate things that can refer to each other via
> SM> an indirection.
>
>> Yes. Actually Github has both of these right now.  When pull requests are
>> not true issues, they tend to be associated with issues: sometimes
>> 1-to-N and sometimes N-to-1.  People have different workflows, so it's
>> good to have flexibility built into the model.  Sorry if this seems
>> ambivalent; it's really a degree of creative freedom that users
>> appreciate.
>
> So, we could start by setting up a Gitlab or Kallithea instance for
> Emacs and use it for pull-requests, while we keep using Debbugs for
> issue tracking.
>
> This lets us move forward on the pull-request and code-review front
> without having to solve the "issue" of switching to another bug-tracker.
>
> EA> A suggestion from a part-time package maintainer: make
> EA> `report-emacs-bug' prompt for a package, and offer the results of
> EA> `featurep' as completion. If the user picks a package that only exists
> EA> in ELPA, email the package maintainer with the bug report.
>> That's a really good suggestion, regardless of the underlying bug tracker.
>
> I also like this idea.  Patches welcome,

Here's a patch. I hope I've used all the proper utility functions for
finding libraries and extracting headers.

So far as I can tell, debbugs doesn't keep track of "bug subscriptions",
and putting the package maintainer in the Cc header is all we need to
do, right?

Anyhow, I'm sure this will require tweaking, but take a look and let me
know.

Also, I've included a second patch to `lm-maintainer', which is (I hope)
a fairly minor fix.

Eric