Re: Adding streams for standard out and standard err

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Adding streams for standard out and standard err
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 02:48:16 +1200

I'm all for a more obvious way to write to stderr (albeit more for
batch uses in my case).

In http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17390 it was pointed
out to me that a PRINTCHARFUN function for stderr already exists --
`external-debugging-output' defined in print.c

I failed to follow up on that, but at the time I was thinking that
it would be nice to have a `standard-error' variable set to this
function, just like there's a `standard-output' variable, as it
would be dramatically more discoverable that way.

As `external-debugging-output' hadn't already cropped up in this
discussion, I just wanted to point it out in case it wasn't known
to everyone.

-Phil