Re: GnuTLS/TLS proposals for after the release

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: GnuTLS/TLS proposals for after the release
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 09:44:28 +0200

On 07/22/2016 05:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I'd like to hear from more people who know about those platforms.
Paul, for example.

I regularly build Emacs on old Solaris systems that lack libraries that we require for typical builds (e.g., libgif). I haven't checked whether these systems also lack libgnutls, and don't much care whether they do. If they lack it, I'll configure --with-gnutls=no; if not, not. So I'm in favor of the change that I proposed. Emacs will still need to work even if libgnutls is absent, so I'm not sure what practical effect this will have on Emacs development in the short run. But it should encourage more packagers to make sure Emacs is linked with libgnutls.