Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)

From: sbaugh
Subject: Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 04:25:33 -0400

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:
> How will the guix environment to use be determined, then?
>
> If it's strictly "prompt the user", that might be incompatible with
> the way project.el determines the current project.

That's something we can determine. I was thinking a dir-local would be
ideal.

>> Yes, I think this is important functionality that other packages
>> distributed with Emacs should be able to build on. Using virtualenvs is
>> very common for Python, for example, and Emacs should support that.
>
> I don't see why virtualenvs support can't be distributed via GNU ELPA,
> too. Anyway, as soon as python.el decides to depend on it, we could
> move environment.el to the core.

If proper virtualenvs support turns out to require changes to core
Emacs, it can't be distributed (solely) via GNU ELPA.

It's possible it might even require hacking on the C implementation of
the process primitives to do properly. (which I'm perfectly happy to do)

>> Also, since this is a headline feature of GNU Guix, it would be nice to
>> support it in GNU Emacs.
>
> I'm sure people working on that distribution can pre-install a few
> ELPA packages.

Sure, fair enough.