Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Managing environments (Python venv, guix environment, etc.)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 20:58:28 +0300

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 13:45:21 -0400
>
> But there are many Elisp functions that use exec-path. For example,
> browse-url uses executable-find (which uses exec-path) to determine
> which browsers are available. If exec-path (or maybe just all its users
> in core) is not tweaked by environment.el, but the process functions
> are, these functions like browse-url will behave in a broken way.

If the problem is only with executable-find, we could provide a
solution for that one alone.  Starting with the simplest one: if the
specific environment knows in which directory to look for the
browsers, it could simply prepend the directory, making the browser
file name an absolute one.  Or use locate-file, which accepts path as
an argument.  Or something.

Tweaking exec-path will have a much more dramatic and wide effect, so
we should try to avoid that, IMO.