Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer

From: Robert Cochran
Subject: Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 11:34:41 -0700

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

>> That tends to be an indicator that the SJWs have infected a project.
>
> "infection" is a verb that we apply to disease. Personally, I find it
> lacking in respect and rather worrisome to apply this to people what
> ever we think of them. I feel the same about the use of "cancer" or "the
> enemy within". I would ask that you do not do this.
>
> You are welcome to describe this as political correctness; you'd even be
> using the term correctly, which is a rarity these days.

No, you're right. I got a little *too* zealous in showing my
disapproval. I'll keep that in mind for future communications. Thank you
for pointing my failure out to me.

> While I am very respectful of Eric's many talents, in the case of Tim
> Hunt he is entirely incorrect. I am a biologist as well as a software
> developer, I'm familiar with Tim's work and, of course, a greatly admire
> it.
>
> When I heard his statements reported (and which he then justified on
> national radio), I considered them to be silly, but then felt that,
> hopefully, he would have learned his lesson, and then we should just
> forgive and forget.
>
> But, then I discussed the issue with many of my colleagues; turns out,
> that they were less willing to forgive. Actually, many of there were
> extremely angry. Like me, science is a part of their life, a vocation
> not an occupation. But, they had just heard a senior scientist describe
> them as not good enough, prone to tears when criticised, just because
> they are women. I was wrong; it's not my place to forgive and forget,
> it's theirs.
>
> I think Tim wasn't hounded out of his job by "social justice warriors";
> I think he left out of embarrassment when he realised how many of his
> colleagues he had deeply offended.

Well, now I have no idea which story is more accurate. I'll go ahead and
just drop that aspect in this and future discussions on the topic, then.
I'd prefer that than spreading any potential mis-information.

> As another relative newcomer, welcome to the mailing list.

Thank you.

~Robert Cochran