Re: systemd @ in filenames not supported by thing-at-point

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: systemd @ in filenames not supported by thing-at-point
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 21:00:52 -0400

On 2016-07-30 20:23, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Clément Pit--Claudel wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what this is about, or what it
>> has to do with Emacs. In any case, the
>> original issue sounds like a bug to me, and
>> you seem to have a reasonable-looking fix for
>> it. Can you prepare a patch and send it with
>> M-x report-emacs-bug? That would be very
>> useful; we could probably discuss that
>> fix there.
>
> By "preparing a patch", do you mean there is
> some formal way of doing that? If so, I am not
> familiar with that. (I know of
> `report-emacs-bug', of course.)

:) It's very easy. You checkout the Emacs source tree with git, then make your
change, commit it with a message in Changelog format), test it, and finally use
`git-format-patch HEAD~1` to save it as a .patch file. Then you can post it as
an attachment to a report-emacs-bug email summarizing the issue and the
proposed fix.

As a small bonus, this process ensures that you're credited for finding and
fixing the issue in the Emacs history, which is nice :); also, it makes it easy
for people to test the proposed fix (although, arguably, it's already easy in
this case).

In general, you need to sign a contributor agreement to send patches to Emacs;
this particular fix however counts as a "trivial" fix, and thus is exempted
from this. But if you haven't yet done so, signing the CLA is very easy, and
will make it smoother to contribute more significant patches in the future :)

> However, in my initial post I added the @
> *first* which I have since learned on
> gnu.emacs.help turns the original, initial dash
> into an interval (when it doesn't appear first
> anymore), i.e., all of [@, ~] in math notation
> are included which wasn't the intention,
> for sure!

That's right; nice catch. I'd suggest sending the patch to bug-gnu-emacs, and
seeing if people have other similar insight.

Cheers and thanks for catching this issue and proposing a fix!
Clément.