Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer

From: Alex Dunn
Subject: Re: Development suggestions from an ENSIME developer
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2016 11:42:32 -0700

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> Some make the argument that publishing a code of conduct announces to others
> what our standards are, and that we are accepting of all peoples, of all
> persuasions.

It does this, and it’s good to have it formalized, but it’s also a very
useful way to signal that the community has chosen to adopt a certain
stance; namely one according to which social justice _is_ important.  If
this upsets people who sneer at “SJWs” and share ESR’s paranoid
fantasies about feminists trying to honeypot Linus, then so much the
better.  A community can’t be welcoming to everyone, when some groups
are openly antagonistic toward others.  A code of conduct helps clarify
which groups can expect to feel welcome in a community, and which aren’t
(e.g., those who compare CoCs to nuclear weapons:
https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/issues/2765#issuecomment-237721149).