Re: Emacs does not detect a buffered file got deleted

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs does not detect a buffered file got deleted
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 17:55:16 +0300

> From: 路客 <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2016 16:55:55 +0800
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Yes, I understood that. My intention is to notify the user about the deletion
> but not
> really want to revert the file. Emacs provide other options other than
> reverting. A
> "revert" here might mean "close this buffer". However,this might need further
> modification to notify the user about the deletion instead of the normal
> modification
> notification. Using the original `ask-user-about-supersession-threat' might
> be a bit
> confusing if file is deleted. What do you think?

Emacs doesn't do anything like that anywhere else, AFAIK.  Not even
auto-revert mode does something like that for deleted files.  I'm not
sure I see good reasons to do anything in this particular case.

Let me turn the table and ask you what kind of trouble you saw with
buffers whose files were deleted by Git (or any other VCS)?  Why would
you like Emacs to do something special in this case?  An extra buffer
is a non-issue in Emacs.

Thanks.