Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:56:59 -0400

> AFAICT, this is what happens, indeed,

Then the old text was right: it's called before ANY modification.

> except that the call to before-change-functions in some cases does not
> precede the first modification of the series.  IOW, by the time the
> hook is called, some modifications were already done.

Sounds like a bug.

In any case, my point is that the doc should still say "before any
modification" because that's really what the code *should* do.  We could
add a blurb in the doc saying that the before and after hooks may not be
properly paired (neither in number of calls nor in the specific value of
BEG/END), but we should still claim that they're both called for any and
all modifications (modulo inhibit-modification-hooks, obviously).

        Stefan