Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:03:04 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:56:59 -0400
>
> > AFAICT, this is what happens, indeed,
>
> Then the old text was right: it's called before ANY modification.

Convince Alan, and I will change it back.

> > except that the call to before-change-functions in some cases does not
> > precede the first modification of the series.  IOW, by the time the
> > hook is called, some modifications were already done.
>
> Sounds like a bug.

I'm not convinced it's a bug.

> In any case, my point is that the doc should still say "before any
> modification" because that's really what the code *should* do.  We could
> add a blurb in the doc saying that the before and after hooks may not be
> properly paired (neither in number of calls nor in the specific value of
> BEG/END), but we should still claim that they're both called for any and
> all modifications

Which is inaccurate when modifications are done in several separate
parts, and you already agreed it's okay to call the hooks only once.
So "for any and all modifications" is bound to draw fire from people
who take that at face value.