Re: Small docstring improvements

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Small docstring improvements
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:10:51 +0300

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 12:34:40 -0700
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> PS> +If START is a string, then send that string to the process +instead of
> PS> any buffer contents; END is ignored.
>
> This is a horrible abuse. There should be another function
> `call-process-with-string'.

I disagree with you about the abuse: it sounds polymorphic to me.  But
maybe that's because I'm too used to this paradigm.

In any case, that ship has sailed long ago: we have this feature in
this and other functions for as long as I can remember, and they are
used in quite a few places.

> I don't like the way that "START" has three separate meanings, only one of
> which has anything to do with beginning a START of something.

Once again, I don't see why you dislike that.  Lisp is not C.