Re: confusion about phi varphi, latex, input-method TeX, prettifying

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: confusion about phi varphi, latex, input-method TeX, prettifying
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 11:11:47 -0400

On 2016-08-16 15:20, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> It seems to me mostly a question for GNU emacs, but I put the
> auctex-devel list on the CC just in case.
>
> When I compile a LaTeX document which contains.
>
> $\phi \varphi$
>
> The pdf file presents these symbols as  (screenshot attached)
>  ϕ φ
>

> But when I use prettifying \varphi is not displayed and \phi is
> displayed as if it were \varphi
>
> On top of that when use set-input-method TeX
>
> And
>
> \phi --> φ
>
> \varphi --> ϕ
>
> So it seems to me, latex is right input-method is wrong and prettifying
> as well.
>
> Any comments

The input method and prettification both take the "pragmatic" decision of
rendering \phi as GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI instead of GREEK PHI SYMBOL,
presumably because it has better font support or because of consistency with
the rest of the greek alphabet.

Some extra data points:

* The unicode-math package translates GREEK PHI SYMBOL to \phi, and GREEK SMALL
LETTER PHI to \varphi, so the input method is inconsistent with unicode-math.

* The company-math package translates \phi to GREEK PHI SYMBOL and \varphi to
GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI, consistently with your expectations.

Clément.