Re: Emacs binaries for Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs binaries for Windows
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 17:35:56 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 12:26:00 +0100
>
> >> emacs-*-bin.tar.gz -- as is now (with libnoX4)
> >> emacs-*-libraries.tar.gz -- with binaries for libraries
> >> emacs-*-libraries.sources.tar.gz -- with sources for the libraries
> >
> > No, I meant each library in a separate archive.  Again, that's just my
> > opinion, something I do all the time on the ezwinports site.
>
> Would that not be a pain to install? You have to unpack them all
> separately? Irritating from the desktop.

Not sure why this would be a pain.  Unpacking .tar.gz files is already
a pain on Windows (which is why ezwinports uses only *.zip files,
which can be unpacked with the Windows Explorer).  But once that
obstacle has been negotiated, why does it matter whether one needs to
unpack one file or a dozen?

The advantage is that since the libraries don't have to change too
frequently, you can unpack them only once, and after that only install
the Emacs binary, leaving the libraries intact.