Re: Emacs Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 10:54:11 +0900

> On 23 August 2016 at 01:07, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Probably this is due to the following workaround only in the Mac port:
>>
>> * emacs-24.4-mac-5.3 (2015-01-29)
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-01/msg01040.html
>>
>> ** Fixed bugs
>>
>> *** Synthetic bold text looks thinner on Retina display/HiDPI mode.
>> This is because stroke line width for text drawing is not correctly
>> scaled (whereas it is correctly scaled when drawn to bitmaps) on
>> such environments. I've been reporting this to Apple on every OS X
>> update since it was 10.7.4, but I couldn't get any response until
>> recently. At last Apple answers that there are no plans to address
>> this issue (rdar://11644870) currently. So I added a workaround that
>> would cause a bad reverse effect if the original issue were fixed.

> Is it possible to apply this fix to the NS port or would we need to
> come up with another solution?

The workaround is simple, but the current code uses some
Mac-port-specific variables.  So at least it cannot be applied to the
NS port directly.

          /* Stroke line width for text drawing is not correctly
             scaled on Retina display/HiDPI mode when drawn to screen
             (whereas it is correctly scaled when drawn to bitmaps),
             and synthetic bold looks thinner on such environments.
             Apple says there are no plans to address this issue
             (rdar://11644870) currently.  So we add a workaround.  */
          if (FRAME_BACKING_SCALE_FACTOR (f) != 1
              && !FRAME_SYNTHETIC_BOLD_WORKAROUND_DISABLED_P (f)
              && (mac_operating_system_version.minor >= 7
                  || mac_operating_system_version.major > 10))
            bold_factor = synthetic_bold_factor * 2;
          else
            bold_factor = synthetic_bold_factor;

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden