Re: Emacs-24.5-1-universal.dmg for macosx dumps on first keystroke

From: Anders Lindgren
Subject: Re: Emacs-24.5-1-universal.dmg for macosx dumps on first keystroke
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 11:37:45 +0200

On 26 August 2016 at 19:21, Alan Third <address@hidden> wrote:
I've had a look about and am currently none the wiser. Is there a standard
way of handling this sort of thing in C code? Is it just a case of putting
some sort of SYMBOLP check in before the variable is used or should we
be able to handle a string instead of a symbol?

I would say that we should ensure that Emacs doesn't crash, but it should ignore all non-symbol values, like most other configuration variables do.

Allowing strings would make the code more complex and it would make testing harder etc, without giving us any advantages.

The important thing, however, is that the documentation clearly states that a symbol should be used.

    -- Anders